Temperatures are rising, drought is increasing, water sources are drying up and families are struggling to survive. Your donations can help rebuild livelihoods in Azad Jammu and Kashmir, Pakistan.
Families in Pakistan face an uncertain future
In Pakistan, a staggering 11 million people are living on less than £1.40 a day. Living on less than the price of our morning cup of coffee, a million families a day are struggling to make ends meet.
Without enough water to drink, to grow crops and earn a livelihood, local men, women and children are facing an uncertain future. In fact, 44% of children under the age of five are stunted and life expectancy is just 66 years – compared to 81 years here in the UK.
By preparing communities for disaster and mobilising communities and leaders against the destructive influence of climate change, we can continue to save lives – transforming vulnerable communities in need.
Saving lives and preventing disaster in Azad Jammu & Kashmir
In Haveli district, Azad Jammu and Kashmir, Pakistan, our holistic sustainable programmes means we’re working to secure communities whilst stemming the tide of climate change.
To fight food insecurity, secure livelihoods and improve the management of water sources, we’ve so far:
- Adapted agricultural methods, providing diary entrepreneurs with bio-gas plants (a climate-friendly energy source)
- Improved methods of collecting rainwater for agriculture and household use, with 210 farmers now having access to rain harvesting structures
- Built water ponds and rehabilitated water supplies
- Ensured 210 extremely vulnerable families have access to seeds and tools for agricultural purposes
- Improved the capacity of artificial inseminators
- Strengthened networks with workers in both the public and private sectors including dairy chains and local community organisations
- Set up two vocational training centres for women
Helping thousands of people to secure a stable living, whilst protecting the environment, we’re saving lives. However, we need your support to save even more.
By donating today, you can save a life – as well as take the critical step to protect our blessed planet.