Islamic Relief USA is hosting its Second Annual Malaria Conference to highlight its commitment to combating and preventing the spread of malaria in high-risk areas of Mali. IRUSA plans to lead projects during the next two years in Mali that will help more than 10,000 people receive treatment or the necessary tools to prevent contracting the disease.
For years, IRUSA, working with local partners in areas of Bamako and Ouelessebougou in Mali, has provided medicines and insecticide-treated nets for affected communities.
● Reduce the rate of infant mortality by 50%
● Decrease school absenteeism by 25%
● Reduce malaria cases among pregnant women by 25%
● Reduce anemia cases in pregnant women by 15%
Project activities will include:
● Distributing insecticide-treated bed nets to last for two years
● Observing and administering drug therapy treatments
● Community education for hygiene and environmental sanitation
● Disease screening
● Medical care for patients
Malaria is particularly devastating in Africa, where 89% of the world’s malaria-related deaths occur, and where a child dies from the illness every 45 seconds. Around the world, 3.3 billion people are considered at risk for contracting malaria. Children remain the most vulnerable: 85% of all deaths from malaria are of children.
What: Islamic Relief USA’s Second Annual Malaria Conference
When: May 1, 2011
Where: The Anaheim Hilton. 777 Convention Way. Anaheim, CA 92802
Public Relations Representative