Job Title: Results & Learning Specialist
Location: Alexandria, VA
Islamic Relief USA (IRUSA) is seeking a Results & Learning Specialist to work in the Programs Department at IRUSA headquarters in Alexandria, Virginia. The Results & Learning Specialist will contribute in implementing the monitoring, evaluation and learning activities within IRUSA’s overall programs. This candidate will assist the programs team in the design, collection, and analysis of data from routine program monitoring as well as evaluate report on the overall IRUSA’s Program Portfolio Performance. The Results & Learning Specialist will also assist in collecting and analyze various set of programs data and transform them into useful dashboards and presentations in order to facilitate tracking of progress and future operational and strategic decision making. The candidate must show the commitment to IRUSA’s faith inspired values and principles as well as a commitment to the vision and mission of the organization.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Results Measurement & Learning Generation
- Reviews interim and final reports submitted by IRUSA partners in the US and overseas with a particular focus on checking the quality and reliability of program data and analysis.
- Contribute to appropriate, high quality orientation and training of field staff and partners on project Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) system and tools, as required.
- Share Monitoring and Evaluations (M&E) field visits information within the program department and with other departments within the organization.
- Undertake regular project monitoring visits to the field to monitor and evaluate project processes and outcomes with appropriate documentation of the findings including the key achievements, challenges and recommendations.
- Contribute to implementation of the MEAL plans set for IRUSA-funded in coordination with the related Programs and the PQ team members.
- Participate to the implementation of selected project baselines, mid-term reviews and evaluations and support the field team (in USA and overseas) in reporting on key projects’ achievements, results, lessons and recommendations.
- Assist in conducting joint MEAL missions with program teams and with IRW’s Programs Quality and regional offices. This includes engaging with IRW on joint field monitoring missions and conducting joint evaluations of IRUSA funded grants.
- Contribute to review and validation of the project reports submitted by grantees and partners.
- Assist in collecting, analyzing and sharing regularly informal feedback from beneficiaries and project stakeholders and facilitate its use.
- Support periodic assessments in coordination with the program team and shares findings, lessons learned and recommendations, and follow-ups on recommendations.
- Contribute to the implementation of project accountability and learning initiatives with IRW’s program quality (PQ) and regional teams.
- Support the use of information and communication technologies (ICT) for project MEAL, as required.
- Assist in timely trend analysis of monitoring data to support project reporting and decision making.
- Contribute to institutional learning processes, track programs’ best practices related and disseminate them to internal stakeholders.
- Participate in periodical review meetings with IR partners and peers – both domestic and international.
- Produce documentation (synthesis, flyers, news articles, blogs, videos) on projects’ success, failures, lessons and innovative solutions.
- Support the development of a results framework for assigned projects, including identification of appropriate indicators, measurement methods and critical assumptions.
- Contribute to the capacity needs assessment of grantees and partners and identify relevant solutions to address them.
- Organize tailor-made training workshops on design, results measurement and learning systems to Programs’ staff.
- Support field staff in strengthening the MEAL systems and capacity of local partner organizations to improve program quality through the provision of on-the-job support.
- Support the capacity assessment of potential partners in particular US grants and GIK projects.
Information Systems, Knowledge Platforms & Dissemination
- Support the implementation of data quality controls to ensure the integrity of project data.
- Support project M&E data quality audits, as required.
- Contribute to the design / maintenance of IRUSA’s Grants Management System (GMS) and ensure that it includes all features needed to capture, analyze and report on programs’ results.
- Coordinate the automation and inputting of qualitative and quantitative data collected in the field and accompany IRUSA grantees and partners’ staff doing this.
- Support the implementation of reporting systems including but not limited to reports to the Board of Directors, reports to IRUSA executives, reports from program managers to the Director of Programs, external reports such as the federal 990, reports to Islamic Relief Worldwide, etc.
- Periodically collect feedback on effectiveness of reporting systems and recommend improvements.
- Produce monthly portfolio performance analysis for both US-based and International Programs and present it to the Programs Division and the Executives.
- Ensure the aggregation and supply of data on IRUSA’s outputs and outcomes is delivered periodically to Marketing, Fund Development, Public Affairs and the Executives.
- Contribute to ensure the quality at entry of new projects /grants with IRUSA’s Programs policies and procedures, including with IRW’s Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) framework in the case of international operations.
- Assist in the design of new projects/grants and contribute to their alignment with quality norms and standards such as Ihsan, CHS, SPHERE, and InterAction when applicable.
- Review the grant applications received from IRUSA’s domestic and international partner organizations, particularly the project log frame indicators, and M&E sections, and provide feedback to the project review teams in a timely manner.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Competencies:
- Bachelor’s degree in data mining, economics, statistics, or related field. Master’s degree preferred.
- At least 2 years of work experience in the field of monitoring and evaluation, including design and implementation of project and program monitoring and evaluation plans.
- Excellent knowledge of monitoring, evaluation and learning methodologies.
- Knowledge and experience with proposal writing and donor reporting requirements.
- Demonstrated ability to produce high quality M&E reports and other program documents.
- Excellent social, interpersonal and intercultural skills and demonstrated ability to interact with culturally diverse staff and program participants.
- Ability to manage a variety of activities in a fast moving environment and meet deadlines with attention to detail and quality.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in developing countries.
- Fluent in English and preferably in one other foreign language.
- Ability to travel internationally and domestically (up to 40% travel).
- Must be eligible to work in the United States.