Job Title: Planned Giving Specialist
Location: IRUSA Offices
Division: Fund Division
IRUSA is searching for an experienced endowment and planned giving professional who will be responsible for developing, implementing, and overseeing a broad endowment fund development program alongside the organization’s Major Gifts Officers. As an experienced planned giving professional, the Planned Giving Specialist will be responsible for coordinating with Major Gift Officers in donor solicitation and presenting to the organization’s major donors with the goal of growing the endowment through fund development. The Planned Giving Specialist will be the subject matter expert educating donors on how they can utilize estate planning and planned giving to minimize taxes, while empowering the donor to leave a legacy to ensure the long-term viability and sustainability of Islamic Relief USA. The Planned Giving Specialist position will report directly to the Director of Fund Development (IRUSA).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement the organization’s planned giving operating plan (including strategies, goals, policies, and procedures).
- Attend IRUSA fundraising and other relevant events (nationwide) to facilitate establishing relationships with existing and potential new donors and the national fund development team.
- Carry out all administrative duties associated with gift cultivation and processing.
- Implement marketing strategies to promote planned gift opportunities to prospects.
- Create customized planned giving packaging and related proposals to meet individual contributor needs.
- Develop, implement, and oversee a complete planned-giving program, including all necessary policies and procedures.
- Develop, implement, and oversee a complete capital campaign program, including all drafting the strategy, plans, goals, and identifying potential capital campaign donors.
- Design specific strategies to attract current and potential contributor profiles, and meet specific contributor needs.
- Write and administer planned-gift offerings and execute agreements utilizing appropriate accounting and legal practices.
- Develop measurements to evaluate effectiveness of marketing activities relating to prospect lead generation and conversion of potential givers to actual givers.
- Develop donor recognition programs.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Competencies:
- Bachelor’s degree and experience in planned giving, capital campaigns, or endowment fundraising. JD preferred.
- At least five years of work experience, with at least three years in a relevant role, preferably with a non-profit organization.
- Ability to demonstrate successful administration of a fundraising program, knowledge of estate planning and annual giving, and capital campaign programs.
- Demonstrated project management skills, with the ability to anticipate resource needs and coordinate their deployment, handle complex logistics, and establish and manage quality control systems.
- Strong understanding of taxes relevant to estate planning and charitable trusts.
- Tangible experience expanding and cultivating existing and new donor relationships over time.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, including the ability to work collegially with others at all levels of the organization, possessing sensitivity to work effectively with donors, board members, and prospective donors essential.
- Able to effectively communicate with donors and prospects, both verbally and in writing, in private meetings as well as addressing crowds.
- Enjoys effectively and pro-actively circulating in social situations.
- Able to share appropriate information in a timely and proactive fashion.
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to engage diverse audiences and effectively convey complicated program information.
- Strong writing skills, including fluency in English and the ability to produce both technical documents and compelling informational pieces.
- A strong customer service orientation, with the ability to effectively manage the distinct and complementary needs of beneficiaries, partners and volunteers.
- Ability to work effectively in a collaborative team environment while providing leadership.
- Ability to demonstrate a passion for emergency relief and the development of vulnerable communities.
- Demonstrated capacity to deliver on deadline, manage multiple priorities, and achieve quality standards.
- Technical proficiency in Microsoft Office and social media.
- Ability to work on weekends and evenings when required and to travel within the United States.
- Ability to travel up to 75% travel is expected.
- Must be eligible to work in the United States.