Job title: Graphic Designer
Location: Alexandria, VA
The Graphic Designer is responsible for helping house, archive, organize, and produce and edit multi-channel design work, including logos, icons, brand visuals, fonts, campaign aesthetics and style guides, brochures, ads, booths, publications, etc. The Graphic Designer works under the supervision of the Creative Manager, and works to ensure that design assets adhere to IRUSA’s aesthetic, brand, voice, and policy, and follow industry best practices. The Graphic Designer uses her/his skills to creatively, efficiently, and effectively build and broadcast design products that tell visual humanitarian stories that stimulate engagement with target audiences, and inspire donations, as well as to successfully market events, campaigns, and products; contributes to multi-channel campaign development; and assists with training staff and volunteers on design and related software use. This candidate must show commitment to IRUSA’s values, ethics, brand, vision, and mission.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conceptualizes, produces, proofs, edits and/or otherwise assists with creative products, including (but not limited to) campaign aesthetics; typography; print and online marketing materials and ads; infographics; donor reports and seasonal publications, including Partnership and Annual Report; direct mail pieces; promotional items; booths; and branded vehicles from pre-production to editing to final products delivered on or before due dates.
- Under the direction of the Creative Manager, participates in the development of strategies and solutions for design creation that are data-driven and work to amplify SEO, and that are optimized for diverse platforms (ex. desktop, tablet, phone)
- Collaborates with relevant stakeholders/teams to brainstorm, produce, implement, and/or audit/analyze marketing campaigns and their relevant elements to ensure synergy and cohesion of products, and to make sure that products reflect client’s and/or corporate culture and goals.
- Works with Creative Manager to ensure adherence to brand, mission, vision, campaign themes, subject-protection policy, redlines, accuracy, etc. as applicable to design products throughout organization.
- Works with Communication Coordinator and manager as necessary to ensure clear communication and stellar customer service with clients regarding the production and delivery of requests.
- Maintains the housing, organizing, archiving of all design related items, historical and current, including logos, icons, digital and print campaign elements, and style guides.
- Seeks out and participates in viable, efficient, and effective training to advance skill set and work performance as approved by manager.
- Supports multimedia team with related projects and tasks when able and approved by manager.
- Performs other tasks as assigned
Qualifications and Competencies:
- Associate or Bachelor Degree or higher in Graphic Design, Visual Communications, Digital Media, or related field
- 1-2 years work experience in a related creative role
- Portfolio of effective marketing design product samples in both print and electronic media, and that shows candidate’s ability to produce materials that are optimized for each medium and different target audiences
- Strong proficiency in Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign
- Proficiency in Adobe Premiere, Adobe After Effects, Adobe Animate, Adobe Lightroom, Adobe PowerPoint, and Google Slides
- Proficiency in HTML 5 and GIF production
- Proficient in both MAC and Windows environments
- Adaptive design eye, and acute attention to detail
- Effective communication and problem-solving skills and ability to manage day-to-day work challenges
- Exhibits sound decision making, prioritizes work appropriately, and requires minimal supervision
- Outstanding project-, process-, time-management, and organization skills
- Ability to work well with diverse work styles and personalities in a team-based approach
- Ability to handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced work setting with diplomacy and composure
- Ability to take instruction, guidance, and constructive criticism well, and implement as necessary
- Fluency in English
- Flexibility in work schedule (i.e. evenings and weekends as necessary) and willing to travel
- Must be eligible to work in the United States
- At least a year working in a nonprofit environment
- Proficiency in photography and videography production and editing
- Experience working with WordPress templates
- Proficiency in written Arabic, Urdu, Farsi
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products and Google Suite