JOB TITLE: Direct Marketing Specialist
LOCATION: Alexandria, VA
The Direct Marketing Specialist is responsible for the direct marketing efforts, which include copy writing/editing, research, development, implementation, and post-mortem auditing of multi-tier, multi-channel marketing campaigns/assets, with a heavy focus on (but not limited to) email appeals, direct mail, and SMS messages. The Direct Marketing Specialist serves as a primary writer and editor for the Marketing team. The Direct Marketing Specialist works under the supervision of the Assistant Director of Marketing, and works to ensure that content assets adhere to IRUSA’s aesthetic, brand, voice, and policy, and follow industry best practices. The Direct Marketing Specialist is responsible for ensuring efficient use of related budgets, and maximizing ROI. The Direct Marketing Specialist uses her/his skills to creatively, efficiently, and effectively build and broadcast content as a storytelling tool and information dissemination vehicle to stimulate engagement with target audiences and inspire donations; contributes to multi-channel, multi-tier campaign development; and assists with training staff and volunteers on content development. This candidate must show commitment to IRUSA’s values, ethics, brand, vision, and mission.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conceptualizes, produces, proofs, writes, edits, codes, and/or otherwise assists with content tasks and products, with a primary focus on mass emails, direct mail pieces, and SMS messages, and, secondarily, with web content; event marketing materials; and corporate reports for internal use; and a secondary editorial focus on other general print marketing materials; scripts; ad copy; social media posts; infographics; and other mass correspondence from pre-production to editing to final products delivered on or before the due dates.
- Under the guise of the Assistant Director of Marketing, collaborates with other marketing team members to create a shared, actionable vision for marketing the organization, its campaigns, and its efforts.
- Develops easy, repeatable processes, workflows, and content templates that keep the team nimble and successful in a culture that values moving fast and iterating quickly.
- Works closely with the Communications team to devise a content strategy that aligns with the company’s wider goals, and that helps shape, implement, and enforce IRUSA content standards.
- Creates and maintains a direct marketing calendar to ensure proper coordination, updating, and dissemination of marketing content throughout the year, with special focus on emails and direct mail pieces.
- Keeps up to date with industry best practices, and monitors content activities of peer websites.
- Strategically reconfigures and repurposes bulk content for different media and audiences, including email appeals and direct mail pieces.
- Collaborates with the Creative and Brand team to brainstorm and produce engaging and informative video content for the website (video experience a perk, but not required).
- Coordinates with other Marketing team members to ensure proper campaigns are featured/promoted across homepage, social media, and that corresponding landing pages are kept up-to-date.
- Maintains and helps develop daily and annual budget (as approved by director), strategy, and solutions for direct marketing campaigns/efforts across various marketing and organizational channels, factoring in SEO and data, and working to acquire and retain audiences; increase interest in brand; inspire donations; and ensure optimal direct marketing appeal; achievement of financial, engagement, and efficiency goals; and alignment with organizational mission and vision, as well as campaign themes and brand(s); and collaborates with other stakeholders accordingly.
- Reviews and audits direct marketing campaign performance and/or engagement against industry benchmarks and best practices, as well as consumer feedback, and presents analysis and recommendations to management to inform forward-moving plans.
- Brainstorms, creates, and implements Salesforce reports in order to strategically disseminate direct marketing related assets; audit campaign performances and related revenue; and gain insights into current donor base, and marketing effectiveness; works with IT and other teams on this as necessary.
- Collaborates with relevant stakeholders/teams to brainstorm, produce, implement, and/or audit/analyze marketing campaigns and their relevant elements to ensure synergy and cohesion of products, for alignment with donor journeys and key topics, and to make sure that products reflect client’s and/or corporate culture and goals.
- Works with direct line managers and other stakeholders to ensure adherence to brand, mission, vision, campaign themes, subject-protection policy, redlines, accuracy, etc. as applicable to content-related work throughout the organization.
- Works with Mass Marketing Specialist, direct line manager, and others to ensure content is data-driven, integrates keywords, and is optimized for SEO.
- Works with Project Manager and manager as necessary to ensure clear communication and stellar customer service with clients regarding the production and delivery of requests.
- Liaises with peers and groups in the direct marketing industries, in the nonprofit sphere, and in faith-based networks in order to evaluate and adopt best practices, and effect change within IRUSA’s marketing strategy
- Seeks out, shares, and implements recommendations for marketing and other content-related resources, products, best-practices, trends, etc. as approved.
- Maintains the housing, organizing, archiving of all marketing content related items, historical and current.
- Seeks out and participates in viable, efficient, and effective training to advance skill set and work performance as approved by manager.
- Help with the pre-, during-, and post promotions for various conferences, events, webinars, and marketing events.
- Performs other tasks as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Associate or Bachelor Degree in Marketing, Content Marketing, Communications, Journalism, or a related field
- At least 2-5 years of experience in related fields
- Portfolio of effective marketing-based writing samples
- Familiarity with AP Style
- Solid awareness of editorial principles and techniques of communicating information, especially for marketing and fundraising channels
- Impeccable writing, editing, and proofreading skills
- Keen awareness of and ability to positively affect SEO
- Experience in responsive and optimized digital design for email marketing
- Strong proficiency in Google Analytics, MOZ, Salesforce, and other insights tools
- Effective communication and problem-solving skills and ability to manage day-to-day work challenges; ability to navigate various viewpoints to develop consensus
- Exhibits sound decision making, prioritizes work appropriately and requires minimal supervision.
- Outstanding project-, process-, time-management, and organization skills.
- Ability to work well with diverse work styles and personalities in a team-based approach
- Ability to handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced work setting with diplomacy and composure
- Ability to take instruction, guidance, and constructive criticism well, and implement as necessary
- Fluency in English
- Comfort level and experience with working across all aspects of communications as well as liaising with multiple organizational leaders/departments; and in developing and presenting concepts, reports and updates to leadership
- Flexibility in work schedule (i.e. evenings and weekends as necessary) and willing to travel
- Must be eligible to work in the United States.
- At least a year working in a nonprofit environment
- Proficiency with storyboarding for video-based campaigns, along with videography and/or video editing
- Experience with WordPress
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products including Excel
- Proficiency in written Arabic, Urdu, Farsi
- Experience using Adobe Creative Suite, including Photoshop, Illustrator, Lightroom