Job Title: Associate Counsel
Location: Alexandria, VA
Islamic Relief USA is seeking an Associate Counsel at its headquarters just outside of Washington, DC in Alexandria, Virginia. The Associate Counsel will assist the General Counsel in providing legal guidance to senior management and various departments in order to strengthen legal protections for the organization and promote its continued compliance with applicable laws and regulations. This position offers international travel, flexible work options, and a dynamic list of responsibilities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct legal research into sanctions compliance and regulations.
- Conduct legal research and analysis of routine legal matters, including issues specific to a 501(c)(3) organization.
- Prepare legal opinions on the impact of relevant current and proposed legislation.
- Conduct legal due diligence, including performing routine legal audits.
- Conduct comprehensive first line reviews and presents recommendations to the General Counsel regarding regulatory compliance and potential liabilities.
- Conduct legal research and assists in preparing documents in support of pending litigation.
- Draft and prepare legal documents, including legal memoranda, grant agreements, and service contracts to support the work of various departments.
- Facilitate and supervise the preparation of corporate reports.
- Research, write, edit implements and/or enforce corporate policies and procedures.
- Review the organization’s publications and advises the Communications and Marketing Department on potential legal issues relating to such publications.
- Ensure that confidentiality of the Legal Department is maintained at all times.
Qualifications and Competencies:
- JD from a competitive accredited law school.
- License to practice law in the Commonwealth of Virginia or have a Corporate Counsel Certificate in Virginia.
- 3-5 years of legal work experience preferably with 501(c)(3) non-profit organizations; international experience a plus.
- Considerable knowledge of research and analysis methods; knowledgeable and proficient use of legal research tools is required.
- Experience in Export Administration and Office of Foreign Assets Control compliance.
- Strong ability to quickly assimilate oral and written data, to analyze facts and draw logical conclusions with a strong attention to detail.
- Must possess excellent written and oral communications skills, with the ability to communicate skillfully with diplomacy and tact.
- Proven strength in organizational skills, with the ability to facilitate and manage multiple tasks under tight deadlines.
- Must be a self-starter with the ability to perform duties with deliberate speed and accuracy without immediate supervision.
- Excellent social and interpersonal skills, and demonstrated ability to interact with culturally diverse staff.
- Demonstrated thrive in a small team environment and work effectively and collaboratively with other non-legal departments.
- Proven ability to exhibit cultural competence and sensitivity to work with a wide array of ethnicities both internally and external to the organization.
- Ability to travel within the United States and internationally.
- Fluency in English required; fluency in a second language preferred.
- Must be eligible to work in the United States.
Islamic Relief USA strives to alleviate poverty and suffering wherever it is found, paying no heed to gender, race or creed. With permanent locations in over 35 countries in Africa, Asia, Europe and North America, Islamic Relief provides emergency disaster relief when it is needed, and spearheads development projects in multiple sectors, including education, income generation, orphan support, health and nutrition, and water and sanitation.
Islamic Relief USA is a mission-driven organization with a collegial atmosphere and excellent benefits. The Legal Department consists of a small and friendly team of professionals and is seeking an energetic candidate that is passionate about IRUSA’s mission of working together for a better world.