- 2.1 billion people live without safe water at home.
- One in four primary schools have no drinking water service.
- More than 700 children under five years of age die every day from diarrhea linked to unsafe water and poor sanitation.
- Globally, 80% of the people who have to use unsafe and unprotected water sources live in rural areas.
- Women and girls are responsible for water collection in eight out of ten households with water off-premises.
- Around 4 billion people – nearly two-thirds of the world’s population – experience severe water scarcity during at least one month of the year
- 700 million people worldwide could be displaced by intense water scarcity by 2030.
At Islamic Relief USA, so many of our worldwide projects are related to water. They address the concerning water needs of millions worldwide. In fact, in 2018, IRUSA’s Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (WASH) sector helped over 100,000 people and had new program investments of over $1.5 million.
What do those investments do, and how specifically are those hundreds of thousands of lives affected?
Here are just five exciting examples of what our projects are able to do — all because of generous donations from donors like you:
- They create long-term water access for entire villages in Africa by establishing top-of-the-line deep water wells.
- They provide life-saving clean water access, along with food, to people devastated by the affects of drought.
- They rehabilitate bathroom and bathing facilities so women, many of whom are refugees, can have safe spaces.
- They develop drought-resistant approaches to agriculture, including distributing special drought-resistant seeds.
- They distribute germ-safe water containers and water-purifying tablets to decrease the spread of fatal diseases.
…and so much more! Check out full details about our recent programs in our 2018 Water Donor Report.