Job Title: Vice President of Development & Communications
Location: Alexandria, Virginia
The Vice President (VP) of Development & Communications leads Islamic Relief USA’s (IRUSA) primary fundraising, marketing, and communication functions, including both strategic and tactical initiatives. This VP establishes and executes strategic vision, programmatic focus, and comprehensive marketing plans to help carry out and implement IRUSA’s humanitarian mission and achieve institutional growth through increased annual operating funds. The VP of Development & Communications is responsible for evaluating the effectiveness of all marketing and fundraising plans and strategies, and formulating innovative solutions to enhance and stimulate overall growth. The VP of Development & Communications will assume management and ensure institutional alignment of all integrated fundraising, marketing, and communication strategies and functions at IRUSA. The VP of Development & Communications reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer and will lead the organization towards greater innovation and sustainability. This individual will be an ambassador for the organization and must advance IRUSA’s brand, visibility, and reputation with relevant and key stakeholders, as well as fuel broader public awareness and donor support. The candidate must possess and demonstrate superior leadership, communication, and creative problem solving skills. The candidate must also understand and exhibit a commitment to IRUSA’s faith-based and humanitarian values and principles, as well as a commitment to the vision and mission of the organization.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide sound, energetic, and strategic leadership by setting ambitious but attainable targets that will stimulate institutional growth through increased annual operating funds and institutional branding and visibility.
- Identify, articulate, and establish overarching institutional vision and strategy related to marketing and development activities; ensure that all divisions are held accountable and deliver on that vision and strategy.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive and strategic communication and fundraising plan to support IRUSA’s brand identity and strengthen awareness of the organization’s humanitarian contributions across key stakeholders and audiences.
- Create a communication, marketing, and development platform and strategy that will allow IRUSA leadership to cultivate and enhance meaningful relations with targeted, high-level external audiences, including the media and key influencers.
- Oversee the proper development and implementation of all IRUSA online and print communications including the annual report, newsletter, and marketing collateral media for physical dissemination and publication on the organization’s website, social media platforms, and news media.
- Develop and oversee a fundraising strategy that increases donor recognition, retention, and reach.
- Create and cultivate relationships with existing and new partners, including short-term and long-term planning as well as cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship among corporate, foundation, and individual major donors.
- Direct the marketing and development of a comprehensive strategic plan for major and individual gifts and corporate relations.
- Oversee all fundraising initiatives including major and corporate gifts, seasonal, emergency, and special campaigns, as well as community fundraising events and activities.
- Create new revenue sources through innovative approaches to fundraising as well as new business models.
- Ensure and promote complete and consistent cohesion and alignment of all marketing and fundraising functions to achieve strategic goals and targets with relevant IRUSA staff members.
- Identify challenges and emerging issues faced by IRUSA; work with the senior leadership team and staff to recognize internal and external communication opportunities and solutions; design and execute appropriate strategies to support staff.
- Advise the CEO and senior leadership team on all matters related to strategic communication and fundraising activities; ensure proper and regular communication regarding organizational developments.
- Perform other duties and special projects as assigned.
Qualifications and Competencies:
- Bachelor’s degree in related field required; advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years related experience, with progressive leadership experience in fund development and working with major donors, strategic community leaders, government and elected officials, community-based organizations, and stakeholders.
- Extensive experience in producing high-quality and effective annual reports, marketing literature, newsletters, press releases, fundraising solicitations, and other online and print publications to promote the work and underlying mission of an organization.
- Demonstrated ability and experience in leading and managing a comprehensive and strategic communications, media relations, marketing, and fundraising program to advance an organization’s mission and objectives.
- Superior management skills; ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reporting staff members, senior management, and executive leadership.
- Demonstrated experience in effectively building, mentoring, and coaching a team.
- Extensive experience in producing high-quality and effective annual reports, marketing literature, newsletters, fundraising solicitations, and other online and print publications to promote the work and underlying mission of an organization.
- Innovative thinking, with a track record for translating strategic thinking and planning into actionable plans and output to achieve tangible results.
- Creative tact about how new media technologies and mediums can be utilized effectively; ability to make decisions in a rapidly changing environment and anticipate future needs.
- Excellent judgment and creative problem skills, including negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Proven ability to work and effectively lead a highly diverse community and partnership base in a sensitive and rapidly changing climate.
- Demonstrated ability and success in solicitation of major charitable contributions and promoting humanitarian efforts and causes through communications, marketing, and fundraising activities.
- Demonstrated capacity to develop and maintain effective and instrumental working relationships with high-level officials and organizations.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated and consistent record of personal and professional conduct that promotes an inclusive climate and IRUSA values.
- Ability to operate as an effective tactical and strategic thinker.
- Highly motivated and committed to IRUSA’s humanitarian mission and values; ability to lead by example, with transparency and integrity that motivates staff at all levels.
- Must be eligible to work in the United States.