Job Title: Social Engagement Specialist
Location: Alexandria, VA
The Social Engagement Specialist is responsible for helping with the research, development, implementation, and post-mortem auditing of multi-tier, multi-channel engagement campaigns/assets, with special focus on (but not limited to) social media. The Social Media Specialist works under the supervision of the Engagement Manager, and performs to ensure that social media campaigns and efforts adhere to IRUSA’s aesthetic, brand, voice, and policy while following industry best practices. The Social Media Specialist uses her/his skills to creatively, efficiently, and effectively amplify IRUSA’s brand(s); stimulate engagement with target audiences; inspire donations; and achieve organizational objectives; and works to propel overall engagement efforts toward success. This candidate must show commitment to IRUSA’s values, ethics, brand, vision, and mission.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conceptualizes, produces, proofs, edits and/or otherwise assists with engagement products, including (but not limited to) social media engagement campaigns; engagement campaign/asset development and review, including cross-channel promotions and how-to kits; consideration and acquisition of new Engagement opportunities; and data analysis of/for social media and other engagement efforts from pre-production to editing to final products delivered on or before due dates.
- Under the direction of the Engagement Manager, participates in the development of strategies and solutions for social media campaigns (including live broadcasts, daily posts, stories, event coverage, and social series), as well as other engagement campaigns, that are data-driven and work to amplify SEO, and that are designed and optimized for diverse platforms (ex. desktop, tablet, phone).
- Manages day-to-day social media platform experience with a focus on producing and posting high-quality, relevant content that leverages trends, engages audiences, and works to amplify IRUSA’s brand and reputation. Additional daily responsibilities include daily monitoring of posts, reviews, and other reputation management items; reviewing and responding to conversations with/among users; overseeing social-media based fundraising and social-media profile design; implementing efforts toward the expansion of social media reach; analyzing and reporting on social media performance; monitoring the social media activity of peer groups and competitors; producing and managing social media advertisements; and monitoring and cultivating influencer campaigns.
- Cultivates strong and lucrative relationships with influencers for online and offline collateral, and works with stakeholders to implement accordingly; this may include traveling with influencers to the field; seeks approvals from management as necessary.
- Nurtures bonds with appropriate groups as potential social media ambassadors to elevate IRUSA’s brand; increase engagement levels and ambassadorships; and open up opportunities for effective partnerships.
- Strategically leverages given budget to achieve highest-possible ROI for social media engagement campaigns, and proposes adjustments to Engagement Manager for approval.
- Works with Engagement Manager and other stakeholders to ensure that all sponsorship-related obligations and requisites are met.
- Maintains the housing, organizing, inventorying, and archiving of all engagement-related items, historical and current, and provides regular updates on these elements to Engagement Manager.
- Collaborates with relevant stakeholders/teams to brainstorm, produce, implement, and/or audit/analyze overarching campaigns to ensure strategic data infusion, synergy with engagement campaigns, and cohesion of products, and to make sure that products reflect client’s and/or corporate culture and goals.
- Works with Engagement Manager to ensure adherence to brand, mission, vision, campaign themes, subject-protection policy, redlines, accuracy, etc. as applicable throughout organization.
- Provides administrative and clerical support that may include paperwork, data entry, expense statements, vendor invoicing, and more.
- Works with Communication Coordinator and manager as necessary to ensure clear communication and stellar customer service with clients regarding the production and delivery of requests.
- Seeks out and participates in viable, efficient, and effective training to advance skill set and work performance as approved by manager.
- Researches, proposes, and implements as appropriate innovative engagement technologies and techniques to advance work efficiency and impact.
- Performs other tasks as assigned.
Qualifications and Competencies:
- Associate or Bachelor Degree in Social Media, Communications, Public Relations, Marketing, or a related field
- 1-2 years experience in a related role
- Expertise in leveraging social media in optimal ways to expand audiences, increase engagement, and amplify brand, and in using social media insights to drive strategy
- Expertise in the use, management, and promotion of crowdfunding platforms, like Facebook Fundraising
- Expertise in the use of networking tools, such as Sprout Social, Hootsuite, or others.
- Proven successes in youth engagement
- Proficiency in marketing and advertising principles and tactics, especially for fundraising and engagement channels
- Excellent negotiation skills
- Excellent conversationalist and comfortable with public speaking
- Good connections and clout with influencers in and out of the target demographic
- Understanding of marketing principles and related consumer psychology strategies
- Effective communication and problem-solving skills and ability to manage day-to-day work challenges
- Exhibits sound decision making, prioritizes work appropriately, and requires minimal supervision
- Outstanding project-, process-, time-management, and organization skills
- Ability to work well with diverse work styles and personalities in a team-based approach
- Ability to handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced work setting with diplomacy and composure
- Ability to take instruction, guidance, and constructive criticism well, and implement as necessary
- Outgoing, energetic, and self-motivated
- Fluency in English
- Flexibility in work schedule (i.e. evenings and weekends as necessary) and willing to travel
- Must be eligible to work in the United States
- At least one year working in a nonprofit environment
- Prior community engagement, public affairs, volunteer, event, or social media management experience
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products including Excel
- Proficiency in written Arabic, Urdu, Farsi, Spanish, Turkish
- Proficiency in Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign
- Proficiency in Adobe Premiere, Adobe After Effects, Adobe Animate, Adobe Lightroom, Adobe PowerPoint, and Google Slides
- Experience with Google Analytics, Salesforce