Job Title: Public Affairs Coordinator
Division: Public Affairs Department
Location: Alexandria, VA
The Public Affairs Coordinator will be responsible for supporting the public engagement and advocacy efforts of the Department of Public Affairs. The focus of the Department’s work is to promote Islamic Relief’s advocacy priorities among domestic and international government entities, strengthen IRUSA’s relationships with peer NGOs and advocacy coalitions, and to protect IRUSA’s reputation with various stakeholders. The Coordinator will report directly to the Government & Public Affairs Manager. The candidate must show the commitment to IRUSA’s faith inspired values and principles as well as a commitment to the vision and mission of the organization.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in the Public Affairs Department’s representation of Islamic Relief USA’s mission, programs, and advocacy priorities, to Congressional offices, Executive Departments, and state/local government officials.
- Assist the Manager in planning and implementing a yearly advocacy strategy to engage strategically selected Members of Congress, Executive Department officials, Embassy officials, multilateral stakeholder, and state/local officials.
- Track Congressional legislation relevant to IRUSA domestic & international policy priorities (i.e. poverty reduction, food security, refugee resettlement, climate change, gender-based violence).
- Research and draft memos, policy briefs, talking points, on issues related to IRUSA’s domestic & international policy priorities.
- Work with IRUSA’s Programs Department to identify any assets, programs, or program partners that might be relevant to engagement with various government officials.
- Work with the Communications Department to produce any public affairs materials required for engagement and advocacy.
- Work with the IT Department in managing the advocacy platform.
- Schedule advocacy meetings with Congressional offices, government department offices, NGOs, and interfaith stakeholders identified by Manager.
- Prepare briefing materials for engagement meetings with government officials.
- Attend advocacy and coalition meetings and draft summary memos.
- Attend briefings and Congressional hearings relevant to IRUSA domestic & international policy priorities, and draft summary memos for Manager’s review.
- Assist with follow up on any request directed to Public Affairs Department originating from Congressional offices, government offices, NGO partners, Embassies, interfaith organizations, etc.
- Assist with planning and coordination of public affairs events, briefings and dinners usually in Washington, DC.
- Maintain and update a contacts database of Congressional staff, government officials, coalition chairs & members, NGO staff, Embassy staff, interfaith leaders etc.
- Utilizes IRUSA social media accounts to promote Public Affairs event in real time.
- Work with the Communication Specialists to write articles and blogs for external audiences.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Competencies
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Policy or Political Science preferred; Master’s degree a plus.
- Minimum of three year’s work experience in domestic or international policy advocacy, public affairs, government relations, or communications.
- Prior Capitol Hill employment or internship experience, a plus.
- Able to handle a fast paced work setting with diplomacy and composure.
- Possess basic understanding of the Congressional legislative calendar and annual budget & appropriations process, preferred.
- General awareness of the leading domestic social services, multilateral organizations, and advocacy organizations.
- Strong communications skills, including writing, public speaking, and social media.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to engage with diverse stakeholders, including government officials, NGO representatives, and interfaith leaders.
- Ability to attend frequent off-site meetings, after business hours events or weekends.
- Confident and proficient user of MS Office.
- Highly organized and self-directed.
- Must be eligible to work in the United States.
To apply you must send your resume to email@example.com and include the position title in the subject of your email.