Job Title: Program Assistant
Location: Alexandria, VA
Islamic Relief USA is a highly respected international humanitarian relief and development organization. The Program Assistant supports the organization’s excellent administrative functioning, promoting efficiency, timeliness, coordination and administrative task completion across the department, with other departments of the organization, and with external partners. The position also provides writing and editing support for the department’s internal and external communications, including reports, summaries, and critical correspondence. The candidate must show the commitment to IRUSA’s faith inspired values and principles as well as a commitment to the vision and mission of the organization.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages the weekly and daily agenda of the Program Director with clear scheduling and organization of preparatory materials.
- Manages the calendar and meeting schedule of the Program Department team; ensures that participants receive invitations, agendas, preparatory materials, meeting notes and follow-up information.
- Coordinates and maintains a record of department travel schedules; working with the IRUSA travel desk, ensures that the Director and other designated department staff have clear and detailed itineraries, compiles necessary documents and briefing materials, and prepares expense reports.
- Manages the flow of communications through the office of the director, ensuring that communications requiring action or follow-up are attended to efficiently.
- Manages the flow of signatures and sign-offs through the office of the director, and forwards approvals to designated alternates if needed for efficiency.
- Tracks critical work processes and tasks through the department; assists in identifying problems with efficiency or follow-through, and proposes solutions.
- Supports the department compliance with organizational administrative requirements (e.g. travel and any requirements for approvals, etc.)
- Prepares routine correspondence for Director and other staff as assigned by the Director.
- Support document retention and retrieval; manage files.
- Edits summaries of grant proposals submitted to IRUSA for the internal approval process.
- Edits reports and other critical documents produced by the Program Department.
- Supports program staff with drafting and/or editing of critical external communications.
- Collaborates with the IRUSA media team on written pieces as needed.
- Performs other duties as required.
Qualifications and Competencies:
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Interest in and ability to learn about the varied areas of program work of Islamic Relief USA; commitment to the humanitarian sector.
- Minimum of three years’ experience in an administrative support role.
- Proven experience in managing calendaring, information flow and administrative systems in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong organizational skills; orientation toward efficiency and task completion, ability to effectively manage data; strict attention to details.
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to maintain composure under pressure, skilled at maintaining positive communications and relations with colleagues and a wide range of external partners.
- Ability to effectively manage up and achieve results without formal authority, cross-cultural competency.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office and ability to quickly master information systems.
- Proven track record as a writer/editor, with some technical experience (writing samples required).
- Ability to write in a clear and compelling manner for different audiences including relief and development specialists and the general public.
- Must be eligible to work in the U.S.