Job Title: Major Gift Manager
Division: Fund Development
Location: All IRUSA Offices
The Major Gift Manager is responsible for identifying new donors and cultivating and developing relationships with current and prospective individual major donors all across the US, in order to build donor support of the organization’s mission and to build the group’s impact on the community. The Major Gift Manager will also manage the organization’s capital campaign. S/he will manage the donor database and supervise a membership assistant. The Major Gifts Manager will drive the effort to secure gifts, primarily from individuals and family foundations. The Manager will develop and implement strategies for identifying major gift prospects, cultivating donors and prospects, and maximizing gifts. The Manager will be primarily responsible for stewardship of IRUSA’s major donor portfolio. In addition, the Manager will identify and develop strategies for candidates for the Board of Directors and other leadership opportunities. The Manager will assist with special events, including conception, planning and implementing strategic donor cultivation events and assisting with fundraising and logistics for the annual benefit and other events as needed. The candidate must show the commitment to IRUSA’s faith inspired values and principles as well as a commitment to the vision and mission of the organization.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure active pipeline of major donors by recognizing and engaging donors through strategy development, coordination with senior staff, strategic collaboration with volunteers and oversight of prospect research and management.
- Identify prospects from daily/weekly gift reports; using criteria to mine the database to uncover prospects; reviewing donor lists from peer organizations; and using other strategies and database resources to identify new potential major donors.
- Implements fundraising strategies from individuals through major gift campaigns, personal cultivation/solicitation, planned giving vehicles and special events designed for individual donors.
- Creates and oversees major gifts strategic plan, policies and procedures, in coordination with the Director of Fund Development, that are essential for a comprehensive major gifts initiative.
- Develops and manages the gifts annual operational and revenue plans in conjunction with IRUSA’s annual budget.
- Work with the CEO and Director of Fund Division to enlist the participation of fundraisers, board members and other volunteer leadership in identifying, cultivating and soliciting major donor prospects.
- Develop short- and long-term strategies for prospects, including annual giving goals and goals for discrete campaigns.
- Develop strategy memoranda and meeting scripts to prepare senior staff to make successful asks, demonstrating understanding of donor interests and philanthropic habits.
- With Director of Fund Development, develop revenue goals for major giving, tracking progress closely to ensure that targets are met and strategies re-examined when necessary to ensure achievement of goals.
- Manage stewardship of IRUSA’s major donor portfolio, ensuring that donors experience high-quality interactions that foster long-term engagement and investment.
- Works closely with executive management and fund development staff to ensure that major donors are acknowledged in a personal and time-sensitive manner.
- Develop methods to convey the impact of gifts and ensure that donors are kept up to date on key developments in IRUSA’s fast-changing campaigns and priorities. Set and meet goals for number of touch points annually.
- Plan and implement strategic donor cultivation events and support IRUSA’s annual fundraising event each spring. Enlist the support of high-level donors and volunteers to host events and provide new prospect names. Execute logistics, develop strategic event programming in consultation with senior development staff, and strategize and coordinate post-event follow-up.
- Write solicitation letters, proposals, donor recognition pieces for publications, and other materials as needed.
- Assign and assist with prospect research sufficient to confirm major donor capacity.
- Maintain donor records in Sales Force database: enter contact reports in donor records and ensure that next steps are scheduled for all active and prospective donors. Enter gift capacity ratings for donors and prospects based on prospect research and use these ratings to prioritize prospects and assign portfolios to the CEO, COO and Director of Fund Development.
- Maintain accurate contact information for donors and run reports based on gift capacity, giving history, outstanding contacts, and other criteria as needed.
- Assist with strategy and logistics for annual benefit and other special events as needed.
- Develop and manage expense budgets for Major Giving, tracking adherence to budgeted spending limits.
- Serve as the resident expert on donor database.
- Organize annual field trips/events/speaking engagements for donors.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Competencies
- Bachelor’s degree – Minimum of 5 years progressively responsible experience in Development, including experience developing successful ask strategies and effective major donor acquisition strategies.
- Must have excellent computer skills (Microsoft Office and Internet).
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Ability to work within a team structure as well as independently, be creative, take initiative, be attentive to detail and possess excellent interpersonal communication skills.
- Experience deploying program and senior staff strategically in moves management and asks, in assessing capacity through prospect research, and managing donor relations.
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 40% of time.
- Grant writing experience and supervisory experience a plus.
- Must be eligible to work in the United States.
To apply you must send your resume to email@example.com and include the position title in the subject of your email.