Job Title: Director of Strategic Communications
Location: Alexandria, Virginia
The Director of Strategic Communications will design and execute public and media relations efforts for Islamic Relief USA’s (IRUSA) various stakeholders and audiences both domestically and in over 40 countries worldwide. The Director of Strategic Communications reports to the Vice President of Communications & External Relations and will develop and implement a broad range of communications, public relations, social/digital content, and media relations activities in support of IRUSA’s mission, vision, values, brand and strategic priorities. In collaboration with the Vice President of Communications & External Relations and the senior executive leadership team, the Director of Strategic Communications will assist in promoting IRUSA’s brand, visibility and reputation with key stakeholders, as well as promote broader public awareness through external media and government relations, as well as social media strategy. The Director of Strategic Communications will ensure cohesive and fully aligned tactical dissemination of communication and messaging by helping to develop and oversee the crafting all internal and external communication materials and products on behalf of the organization. The Director of Strategic Communications will also be responsible for managing all crisis communication functions at IRUSA. This candidate must demonstrate excellent leadership, communication and creative problem skills, as well as a commitment to IRUSA’s faith-based values, humanitarian principles, and mission and vision.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement a media and public relations strategy that increases and strengthens brand awareness, clarifies brand experience and accurately demonstrates IRUSA’s humanitarian work and impact through various engagements, interviews, op-eds and public facing opportunities.
- Plan, pitch and secure proactive earned media opportunities, op-ed placements, meetings and events through traditional and digital channels.
- Develop an annual media and public relations plan that details the strategy, tactics, messages, channels, outcomes and measurements to achieve organizational success and increased presence.
- Serve as a public relations advisor to VP of Communications & External Relations and CEO at IRUSA in matters related to crisis communication, media training, media placement, as well as proactive and reactive strategic guidance.
- Field and manage incoming media inquiries, cultivate media contracts in print, television, radio and other industry and community influencers that are important and relevant to IRUSA’s mission and vision.
- Cultivate partnerships with other public relations professionals throughout IRUSA’s vast network to ensure a unified humanitarian voice, leveraging the best and most innovative ideas and strategies in the sector.
- Author and lead the design of press materials, including media kits, op-eds, holding statements, talking points, executive media interview briefs, news releases, website content and fact sheets on organizational programs, initiatives and key messaging efforts.
- Facilitate media interviews with appropriate staff members and prepare appropriate briefing materials.
- Serve as an organizational spokesperson when appropriate.
- Supervise and manage the communications and media specialists and staff, establish and oversee internal deadlines, as well as manage the relationship with external vendors to maximize the value and effectiveness of IRUSA’s strategic communications and public relations efforts.
- Serve as editor-in-chief over all written content for internal and external publications released on behalf of IRUSA.
- Collaborate effectively with all levels of the organization to ensure and promote the effective delivery of IRUSA’s strategic, stakeholder, and crisis communications and initiatives.
- Coordinate with the Marketing Department to ensure consistency and cohesion of publications and proactive digital and press outreach.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Competencies:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field required, advanced degree preferred; a minimum of 5+ years of prior relevant work experience.
- Excellent writing and editing skills with a demonstrated ability to write for multi-media platforms and channels.
- Demonstrated ability to take creative approaches to sourcing, identifying and creating compelling earned national and global narratives that are relevant and appealing to traditional and digital media.
- Excellent interpersonal, relationship building skills both within and outside of the organization.
- Demonstrated ability to provide balanced leadership in articulating and executing clear strategies and tactics, while maintaining the flexibility to adjust and pivot when circumstances dictate, including crisis management, organizational initiatives, and brand awareness strategies.
- Demonstrated ability and success in working with PR firms and other PR-related vendors.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience of the humanitarian and nonprofit policy sector.
- Demonstrated ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reporting staff members, senior management and executive leadership. Demonstrated experience in effectively building, mentoring, and coaching a team of communications and development specialists.
- Proven ability to work and effectively lead a highly diverse community and partnership base in a sensitive and rapidly changing climate.
- Demonstrated and consistent record of personal and professional conduct that promotes an inclusive climate and IRUSA’s values.
- Highly motivated and committed to humanitarian mission and values; ability to lead by example, with transparency and integrity that motivates staff at all levels.
- Must be eligible to work in the United States.