JOB TITLE: Content Specialist
LOCATION: Alexandria, VA
The Content Specialist is responsible for helping house, archive, organize, produce, and edit all multi-channel, text-based content that serves marketing, communication, and news purposes. The Content Specialist works under the supervision of the Content Manager, and works to ensure that content assets adhere to IRUSA’s aesthetic, brand, voice, and policy, and follow industry best practices. The Content Specialist uses her/his skills to creatively, efficiently, and effectively build and broadcast content as a storytelling tool and information dissemination vehicle to stimulate engagement with target audiences and inspire donations; as well as to open lines for effective intra-organizational communication; contributes to multi-channel, multi-tier campaign development; and assists with training staff and volunteers on content development. This candidate must show commitment to IRUSA’s values, ethics, brand, vision, and mission.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conceptualizes, produces, proofs, edits and/or otherwise assists with content tasks and products, including (but not limited to) monthly e-newsletter, donor reports and seasonal publications, including Partnership and Annual Report.
- Assists with direct mail pieces, as well as general print materials, scripts, ad copy, web content, social media posts, event marketing materials, talking points and corporate reports for internal use, and mass correspondence from pre-production to editing to final products delivered on or before due dates.
- Under the direction of the Content Manager, participates in the development of strategies and solutions for content creation that are data-driven, infuse effective keywords to drive engagement, and work to amplify SEO for diverse platforms (ex. desktop, tablet, phone).
- Collaborates with relevant stakeholders and teams to brainstorm, produce, implement, and/or audit/analyze marketing campaigns and their relevant elements to ensure synergy and cohesion of products, and to make sure that products reflect client’s and/or corporate culture and goals.
- Works with Content Manager to ensure adherence to brand, mission, vision, campaign themes, subject-protection policy, redlines, accuracy, etc. as applicable to content-related work throughout organization.
- Works with Digital Marketing Specialist, manager, and others to ensure content is data-driven and optimized for SEO.
- Works with Marketing and Communications Coordinator and manager as necessary to ensure clear communication and stellar customer service with clients regarding the production and delivery of requests.
- Works independently or with a crew for select domestic and/or international field visits (including travel, prep work, scheduling coordination with stakeholders, etc.) to capture content for marketing use.
- Helps maintains and create content for blog, while creating partnerships with guest bloggers.
- Content Specialist will be responsible for the management of the blog platform, scheduling, editing, content-creation, content-solicitation, and promotion.
- Seeks out, shares, and implements recommendations for marketing, communications, and other content-related resources, products, best-practices, trends, etc., as approved.
- Maintains the housing, organizing, archiving of all content-related items, historical and current.
- Seeks out and participates in viable, efficient, and effective training to advance skills set and work performance as approved by manager.
- Performs other tasks as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Associate or Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Content Marketing, Journalism, or a related field.
- At least one year of experience in a related communications or content-marketing role preferred.
- Portfolio of effective news-based and marketing-based writing samples.
- Familiarity with AP Style.
- Solid awareness of editorial principles and techniques of communicating information, especially for marketing and fundraising channels.
- Impeccable writing, editing, and proofreading skills.
- Keen awareness of, and ability to positively affect, SEO.
- Effective communication and problem-solving skills and ability to manage day-to-day work challenges.
- Works well with diverse teams.
- Exhibits sound decision-making, prioritizes work appropriately and requires minimal supervision.
- Outstanding project, process, time-management, and organization skills.
- Ability to work well with diverse work styles and personalities in a team-based approach.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced work setting with diplomacy and composure.
- Ability to take instruction, guidance, and constructive criticism well, and implement as necessary.
- Fluency in English.
- Flexibility in work schedule (i.e. evenings and weekends as necessary) and willingness to travel.
- Must be eligible to work in the United States.
- At least a year working in a nonprofit environment.
- Prior editorial work experience.
- Experience with WordPress.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products, including Excel.
- Proficiency in written Arabic, Urdu, Farsi.
- Experience using Adobe Creative Suite, including Photoshop, Illustrator, Lightroom.
To apply, please send your resume to email@example.com and include the position title in the subject of your email.