Job Title: Chief Executive Officer
Location: Alexandria, VA
Islamic Relief USA (IRUSA) is seeking a strategic and visionary leader to serve as the next CEO. The new CEO will build on the organization’s successful track record of serving and empowering diverse beneficiaries through comprehensive and innovative development programs that address social and humanitarian needs in the US and abroad.
The top candidate must be a seasoned executive leader with experience in effectively leading the strategic direction of an organization, and excellent financial acumen. Further, he/she must be a proven, program leader and team builder, and have a track record of developing strong relationships with diverse stakeholders, including donors, institutions, foundations and community partners.
The new CEO is the steward of Islamic Relief brand and will be reporting to an active and engaged Board of Directors. He/she will have the overall responsibility of ensuring that IRUSA vision and mission are achieved. He/she must contribute to the base of the humanitarian knowledge affecting beneficiaries worldwide.
- Strategic Direction: Lead IRUSA’s strategic direction; collaborate with Board, staff, partners and key stakeholders to set clear data-driven goals and achieve IRUSA’s mission.
- Resource Development: Lead and manage existing donor relationships and implement expanded funding strategies that generate new revenue from diverse sources to ensure organizational sustainability and growth.
- Business Acumen: Oversee the successful execution of IRUSA’s day-to-day operations, including effective strategic financial decision-making and management, reporting, and compliance.
- Team Leadership and Culture: Provide inspirational leadership and vision to IRUSA’s team and maintain a vibrant culture that promotes growth and learning across the organization.
- Program Leadership: Oversee the management and continued improvement of IRUSA’s programs, consistent with its mission and values.
- Relationship Management: Develop and maintain strong relationships with key stakeholders, including donors, nonprofit and community partners, state and local elected officials, government agencies, NGOs, and Board of Directors.
- Communications: Serve as the principal spokesperson and passionate advocate for IRUSA and the beneficiaries served.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in a C-level leadership role with a comparable size humanitarian organization interacting with staff, volunteers and diverse boards.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline required; JD, MBA, DBA, or PhD degree is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to manage the strategic, financial, human capital and operational needs of a complex community-based organization.
- Demonstrated passion for IRUSA’s mission and demonstrated commitment to improving outcomes for underserved beneficiaries.
- Proven ability to develop and execute a fundraising strategy, including a successful record of cultivating and stewarding new funding sources.
- Demonstrated aptitude for building and cultivating strong relationships with a diverse set of key stakeholders.
- Demonstrated commitment to achieving meaningful outcomes.
- Deep understanding of IRUSA’s diversity and issues affecting beneficiaries in the US and abroad.
- Ability to lead, inspire, and develop a high-functioning team.
- Positive, engaging and entrepreneurial leadership style.
- High level of integrity and sound judgment.
- Confidence paired with humility and a willingness to roll up ones sleeves.
- Must possess excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- Public speaking and group facilitation skills.
- Bilingual Arabic/English preferred.
- Must be eligible to work in the United States.
About Islamic Relief USA
Islamic Relief strives to alleviate poverty and suffering wherever it is found, paying no heed to gender, race or creed. With permanent locations in over 35 countries in Africa, Asia, Europe and North America, Islamic Relief provides emergency disaster relief when it is needed, and spearheads development projects in multiple sectors, including education, income generation, orphan support, health and nutrition, and water and sanitation.